From the article: Hummus Recipes
Hummus can be made a million different ways, from tofu to soybean to original with tahini. What is your favorite flavor of hummus? Share Your Thoughts
The Kitchen at The Dorset Smokery
- We smoke chickpeas it gives the hummus a fantastic flavour
- —Guest Ben Sabih
- I love garlicky, lemony, flavors. I like to serve it on a plate, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with chopped parsley, chopped onion and paprika. Very inviting to look at!
- —Guest Cynthia Young Baguskas
- I usually never tell ppeloe there is fish sauce in the stuff before they try it because most likely they will say they don't like it just because it is in their mind, just psychological I guess. Anyway I use MAESRI brand egg roll dip. You can use the dip right out of the bottle, it's pre-made with shredded carrots. Your husband will probably like it, but it is a little to sweet/heavy for my taste. Most of the families I know including mine, will use the dip as a base and add the ingredients you mentioned such as crushed red pepper, more carrots, fish sauce ,sugar, water, lime(we use lime instead of vinegar, but it is your choice) and crushed peanuts.If you can't get a hold of egg roll sauce and stores near you don't sell it, you can make your own by putting sugar in a pot and turning the heat on low. You will have to constantly mix slowly until it turns reddish/brownish dark color and liquidy. Whatever you do, do not taste the sugar when it's hot! I almost did when my mom was showing me how to make it, and my mom yelled at me. I guess it didn't click that hot sugar can burn really bad, and worst, it sticks. When the sugar has turned a red/brown color and liquid, you can add the rest of the ingredients and mix together.MAESRI products are from Thailand. The following ingredients in the MAESRI brand egg roll dip are: Sugar 42%, Water 40%, Distilled Vinegar 6.8%, Turnip 3%, Carrot 3%, Salt 3%, Fresh red chilies 2%, Thickener (E 415) 0.2%
- —Guest jZkmUqOTApngn
- Just looking to see how long hummus is good for? I left it in a really cold fridge and it got some white dots in it. I scrapped them off and still ate it. Didn't get sick so I guess it's OK
- —Guest Connie
- You can find several on the American Diabetes Association web site. I've lekood at a couple and there are some recipes that look pretty good. The recipes include carb counts, food exchanges, calorie counts, and a whole lot more. You can also find them at Borders or Barnes and Noble look in the health care section.
- —Guest IHAwQGbhxwe
Jalapeno Cilantro Hummus...
- I like to put a few tablespoons of chopped cilantro and two tablespoons of minced jalapeno. It's a fantastic dip or a great addition to any burger (veggie or otherwise)
- —Guest Cassandra
- I'm eating carrot hummus right now---just add a can of carrots to the basic hummus recipe, and use ginger instead of cumin. Delicious!
- —Guest Lisa
roasted garlic hummus
- This is a great tasting food item;looking at it never would have guessed.
- —Guest Terry W.
I love to eat it with...
- No matter what the hummus tastes like, I always enjoy it with Kangaroo Pita Chips or Kangaroo Pita Bread. Check out their website for more info on the chips and bread, www.kangaroobrands.com
- Is it possible to freeze hummus? How long can you keep humus?
- —Guest alta
Our favorite hummus
- Made with two large heads of roasted garlic and roasted sweet pepper
- —Guest cathismom
My favourite hummus...
- Garlic! The garlickier the better to me. Original is also a great classic too.
- I first tried Hummus about 15 years ago in Chicago. One of my friends brought me to a Middle East social club/cafe after running into her on the bus ride home. I had it in a to go container and had a nice suprised when I got home. There was a big mound of Hummus with a well hollowed out in the middle of the mound and filled with olive oil. Surrounding the Hummus Mound were cucumber wedges, middle eastern (reddish pink)turnip slices, different kinds of olives such as Kalamata. Wrapped in oil were some warm Pitas halved. Since then I have learned how to make it and there is a store not too far that sells ingredients from different countries including 25 different kinds of olives and 40 different brands of imported olive oil.
- —Guest Bertrand
guy from Thrace
- I grew up in a community that knew nothging about the middle east. My Byzantine history, not in the history books, and when I took pita with filling as a sack lunch to school, people looked at me oddly. I love your column and read it daily, someday mention ikra, an eggpland dish? Christmas at our house always had the evening meal, Christmas eve, of 7 fishes, I think the Sicilians do the same thing. Garlic hummus is out of this world.
- —Guest J Lee Cline
- I love the Classic. I tried others but it remains my favorite and I think it goes with more things than the others.
- —Guest sue sabnes
1-15 of 24Next