Just before the holidays, I decided it was time to upgrade my stand mixer. So, to be sure I got the one I really wanted, I bought my wife one for Christmas! I have never had so much fun toying around with one of her gifts.
Seriously though, a stand mixer is one the best appliances you can have in your kitchen. I have been using them for some time now and would never go back to a hand mixer. Why do I love my stand mixer so much? Here are some reasons why I have one, and why you should have one too!
1. Hands free mixing: The most obvious reason to use a stand mixer in your kitchen is the ability to mix your ingredients hands free. While your ingredients are mixing you can use that spare minute or two to prepare the rest of your dish, grease a pan, whatever you need to do.
2. Less of a mess: Surely we have all had that one time when mixing that we raise our hand mixer from our bowl a split second too fast, sending batter flying all over ourselves and our kitchen. A stand mixer will help solve this problem. Plus, with a regular hand mixer it is often difficult to get around the entire circumference of the bowl. A stand mixer is designed to ensure that all your ingredients get mixed evenly. Too, the head will raise so that your mix , if it drips, stays in the bowl and off of your hands.
3. More speeds: The high end line of kitchen mixers will usually have more than 5 different speeds. This will allow you to mix something as delicate as an egg white to the toughest bread, pizza, or cookie dough.
4. Sturdiness: The basic design of a stand mixture is set up so that it remains steady. The entire appliance works together so that the machine and bowl holds up well together during mixing. With a hand mixer you have to worry about turning a bowl every which way to get all your ingredients mixed, risking the contents of your bowl spilling out onto your counter. The stand mixer solves this problem for you instantly.
5. Different heads and attachments: Many stand mixers also come with interchangeable heads, depending upon what you need to mix. Bread dough, for example, will have a special hook, along with a beater, and a whisk.
Another reason to get a stand mixer is that it looks great in your kitchen! If you are considering purchasing one, try to do as much research on them as you can. The mixers for home use can run as much as a few hundred dollars. If you are a small time cook you probably do not need to get one that expensive, but if you do cook a lot, a top of the line stand mixer is one of the best investments you can make for your kitchen.