Shashlik is Turk/Russian type of kebab. Marinated skewered lamb, grilled to perfection, combined with grilled vegetables make this the ultimate cookout food.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 27 minutes
- 1 lb lamb trimmed of all fat, and cut into 2" cubes (leg or shoulder of lamb)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 medium onions, cut into eighths
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 large green peppers, cut into 1 inch chunks
- In a bowl, combine lamb, olive oil, lemon juice, pepper, salt and red pepper. Allow to marinate at least 2-3 hours prior to cooking.
- Place marinated beef on skewers (about 6 cubes per skewer). Be sure to apply a light coat of oil on the skewer prior to threading the meat.
- Place vegetables on separate skewers, alternating type of vegetable. The meat and veggies are cooked on different skewers because the meat will take longer to grill.
- Cook lamb shashlik skewers on grill or under broiler for 10-12 minutes, or until desired doneness. Turn to ensure even cooking.
- Grill vegetable skewers for last 5 minutes of grilling. Turn. The vegetable should be crisp, yet tender. Be careful not to overcook.