1. Food
Saad Fayed

Help! My Falafel is Falling Apart

By January 26, 2010

FalafelYou know falafel is one of the best tasting foods, but it is sometimes tricky to prepare. By tricky, I mean that if you don't have the consistency just right, you will end up with falafel that will just fall apart as soon as it hits the oil. Yuck!

Alas, I have the solution to falafel that just won't stay together. A binding ingredient is needed sometimes, especially if you are using canned beans instead of dried. The perfect binding ingredient for falafel is flour. Nothing fancy, just plain all purpose flour. Add a few tablespoons at a time to your falafel mixture.

If all else fails, try a boxed falafel mix. Not only are they easy and inexpensive, they taste just about as good as your favorite Middle Eastern eating spot.

Comments

September 5, 2008 at 2:43 am
(1) shabs says:

I have been searching for good recipes for middle eastern food for a very long time. ur blog and site seems very promising. Since i spent almost all my life in UAE im in love with arabic food. will definitely try some. Thanks so much for ur great work!!Im so relieved after finding ur site.

March 3, 2009 at 9:09 am
(2) Alexwebmaster says:

Hello webmaster
I would like to share with you a link to your site
write me here preonrelt@mail.ru

September 5, 2009 at 10:49 am
(3) Shayne says:

OK – this is a problem that many people encounter. It seems to be totally random. Sometimes they work out perfectly and other times they ‘fall apartí. Because it is random I ‘ALWAYS’ take the smallest amount of mixture and test in hot oil. If it falls apart then I know this early.

What I do is; I add flour, generally chickpea flour will do the trick, depending on the amount of mixture, I add about 2-3 tablespoons. I would also add (if the recipe doesn’t include) some bulgur wheat and some baking powder.
So the flour offers a binding solution, as does the bulgur, but the baking powder controls the cooked consistency.

February 1, 2010 at 4:00 pm
(4) K says:

I am as American as a white girl can get.
-HOWEVER-
In my search for healthy (and halal) food, I love falafel.
I DO NOT RECCOMEND USING A BOXED FALAFEL MIX. YUCK. Just make it home made and keep trying til you get it right. It won’t always fall apart. You just have to keep at it and will get it down.

Home made is always the best!
Maybe I have a bit of Egyptian in me by this mentality. :o )
joke

May 1, 2012 at 4:25 pm
(5) Felipe Perez says:

Oh my God I’m sooo excited! I have this super yummy recipe from this Mediterranean cook book but no mention of flour. Lost a lot prisoner’s in the making but now I’m munching with a smile! Thanks for the flour tip.

May 27, 2013 at 2:36 pm
(6) Christina says:

Bean patties of all types have a tendency to fall apart. I have found adding an egg helps, also refrigerating the mixture for at least a half hour before frying. I don’t know why this works but it does.

June 25, 2013 at 3:28 pm
(7) Mo says:

Wish I’d seen this before I started frying! I used flour but apparently not enough. Rescued what I could and ate with a spoon. Delicious flavor in any form!

August 24, 2013 at 3:40 pm
(8) RobFromOak says:

Refrigerate well before frying.

January 27, 2014 at 12:25 pm
(9) precise says:

Good day! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be ok.
I’m definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.